Please take a moment to remind our city government that the arts play a vital role in the identity and economic development of our community!
Sample Letter Template
The letter is the most popular choice of communication with decision makers. When writing a letter, use this list of helpful suggestions to improve the effectiveness of the communication. Use appropriate personal or business letterhead with address and contact information.
The Honorable (full name)
(your community name) City Council
City, State, Zip
Dear Councilman (full name):
I have lived in San Angelo for many years and am concerned about the continuation of local funding for the arts. I understand the City Council will be discussing this matter at upcoming meetings. I am writing to urge you to continue funding the San Angelo Cultural Affairs Council at a minimum of 5% of local hotel occupancy tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year.
(Your reason for writing and requesting action should be stated in the first paragraph of the letter.)
(Use one or two paragraphs to explain your position. Describe how you and your community will be impacted. Use a vivid example and support it with facts. You may use one or more of the following talking points.)
- Last year in 2010 the San Angelo Cultural Affairs Council regranted 100% of hotel occupancy tax revenue it received along with additional funds raised by the organization, a record $77,750 to nine local non-profit agencies.These worthwhile organizations served approximately 200,000 San Angelo citizens and tourists.
- Losing local government funding would mean the loss of equal amounts of state and federal funding, so any decrease in funding to the Cultural Affairs Council is doubled by the loss of matching state grant funds.
- A vibrant arts industry not only encourages tourism, but is also essential to long-term economic development initiatives by creating a higher quality of life vital for workforce retention and corporate recruitment. Local recruiters from Shannon, Angelo State University and Multi-Chem will attest to the power of influence a creative community can be to professionals and companies looking to relocate.
- The arts industry plays a vast role in the economy of Texas. According to the Perryman Report of 2000, for every $1 spent on arts related activities, more than $298 of cultural impact on the economy occurs, as well as $9.20 in State revenues. San Angelo enjoys an annual contribution of $787.7 million in aggregate spending from arts related activities representing 16.0% of aggregate output, ranking us third in Texas behind Fort Worth-Arlington and Dallas, respectively.
- The U.S. Congressional district that includes San Angelo and is served by Rep. Mike Conaway is home to 1,101 arts-related businesses that emply 4,023 people. A decrease in funding for local arts organizations not only means a decrease in economic activity but a threat to local jobs.
- According to the Arts & Economic Prosperity Report, attendance at arts events generates related commerce for local businesses such as restaurants, hotels, and retail stores. In 2005 the average attendee spent an extra $27.79 each generating as estimated $103.1 billion of valuable revenue for local merchants and their communities nationwide.
- Click Here for more advocacy links and state/national statistics
Summary and reiteration of specific request
I strongly urge you to vote in favor of maintaining or increasing funding for the San Angelo Cultural Affairs Council.
Sign and print your name
Click Here for city council contact information
If you choose to send a copy of your letter to the San Angelo Cultural Affairs Council, please mail it to: P.O. Box 2477, San Angelo, TX 76902 or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org